Huawei Technologies would deny any Chinese government request to open up “back doors” in foreign telecommunications networks because they are not legally obliged to do so, the company’s chairman says.
Mr Liang Hua, speaking to reporters in Toronto on Thursday (Feb 21), said the company had received an independent legal opinion about its obligations under Chinese law and said there is nothing forcing companies to create what he called “back doors” in networks. He said the company had never received any such request, but would refuse it if it did.
“We will not execute the request” because it wouldn’t be lawful, he said through a translator, stressing that he leads “an independent business organisation” aimed at serving its customers. “We have kept a good track record on cyber security.”
His comments, and an announcement of increased spending in Canada, come as the country and several of its peers weigh whether to restrict or ban Huawei from 5G networks.
The company’s chief financial officer, Ms Meng Wanzhou, mean while, is under house arrest in Vancouver and faces potential extradition from Canada to the United States.
‘CHALLENGES AND DIFFICULTIES’
Mr Liang downplayed some of the geopolitical tensions, saying that difficulties are normal in business and that they will continue to invest in Canada regardless of the 5G decision. However, he said he believes Ms Meng is innocent and that Canada will keep politics out of its decision.
“At the end of the day, we hope decisions on 5G can be made based on technology and not on other factors,” he said. “At any time, at any point, it is normal for us, for a company to be faced with challenges and difficulties.”
The US, New Zealand and Australia have all restricted or banned Huawei from 5G networks.
Britain said this week that no decision has been made, but that the country “will not compromise on the improvements we need to see from Huawei”.
‘FAIR AND JUST’
Despite the tensions, Mr Liang predicted revenue growth for the company – to US$125.4 billion (S$170 billion) in 2019, up from US$108.5 billion last year. Revenue in Canada totalled US$420 million last year, including US$270 million from telecom companies like BCE and Telus Corp, and US$150 million from consumer products.
He said the company “is just an equipment vendor” to those Canadian telecoms, and doesn’t own networks or Canadian customer data. He said he wants all providers to be treated equally in a “fair and just manner.”
Cyber security and privacy protection are challenges for the entire industry and not just one company, he said.
The company won’t abandon Canada if it bans 5G, Mr Liang said. “There are still customers that will choose us. In that case, we will continue to provide good service to customers,” he said.
The US unveiled allegations against Huawei, two affiliates and Ms Meng over alleged bank and wire fraud related to business in Iran, along with allegations that the company stole trade secrets from T-Mobile US. Mr Liang said the dispute with T-Mobile had been resolved in civil proceedings and that a “defendant is innocent until proven guilty”.
Ms Meng is due in court next month, though her extradition fight could last for years.
“I cannot say the US charges against Ms Meng are not politically driven,” Mr Liang said.
“I believe she is innocent and I hope the Canadian justice system will bring justice back to her.”
Mr Liang cited comments made by former Canadian ambassador to China, Mr tJohn McCallum, who said Ms Meng had a good case to avoid extradition. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau demanded Mr McCallum’s resignation days later.